Another Quilt in the making

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

August 2009 News

August 19, 2009

Hi - I (Bonny) and three of my 5th grade classmates have created this blog.
We are made up of Bonny, Nanci, Paula and Robin.
We met while in 5th grade elementary in Alachua Florida.
We just got back together 10 years ago! We are now all in our 50's. How cool is that?
All of us are Grammies!
We will each write a mini info on ourselves.... but that is later!



I wanted to share today some pictures of the quilt I have made for my soon-to-be grandson,
Cole. I used the "Be A Man" series
from "FreeSpirit". I wanted to do
something different for the back -
so it ended up like this!

Here is the pattern:
I used 5 prints. I bought 5 yards, 1 yard of each print. At the time I wasn't sure what pattern I wanted to
make - and this pattern used almost
everything up! Which I love!!!

For the Top:

From your background (nuts and bolt) print cut:
9: 3.5" by 9.5"
18: 2" x 9.5"
18: 2" x 6.5"

From Prints 1, 2 & 3 (wrenches, be a man, and gears)
2: 3.5" x 9.5"
4: 2" x 9.5"
4: 2" x 6.5"

From Print 4 (hammers)
3: 3 1/2" x 9 1/2"
6: 2" x 9 1/2"
6: 2" x 6 1/2"

Take a 3.5" x 9.5" piece from your background print and sew on one of the same prints 1,2 & 3 to each side ( a 2" x 9.5" piece). Then sew on the top a 2" x 6.5" piece of the same choice.
Make 9 of these blocks.

Take a 3.5" x 9.5" piece from your prints 1,2 & 3 and sew on your background print to each side
(a 2" x 9.5" piece). Then sew on the top a 2" x 6.5" piece of the background print. Make 9 of these blocks.

Sew blocks alternating background block with print blocks.

Cut two 6.5" borders of the (tire print) the length of the quilt and sew on to each side.
Cut four 6.5" squares (gear print) for the corners of the borders.
Then cut two more 6.5" borders (tire print) to sew to the top and bottom of the quilt.
Sew the 6.5" squares (gear print) to the ends of the 6.5" border and sew to the top
and bottom of the quilt.

For the Back:

I took the remaining 'hammer' print and 'be a man' print and squared them up
and then sewed them together. I then cut them in half.
I figured out how much more print I needed for the back and then I took the 'tire' print
and 'nuts and bolt' print and sewed down the middle.

I used warm and natural batting. Bind as desired from remaining fabrics, I used the 'be a man' print.
Quilt as desired - we used a small stipple design. After finishing your quilt,
throw in the washer and dryer to get the fabulous crinkle look. This is the best part!













No comments:

Post a Comment